Tuesday, August 17, 2010

2 weeks notice

Mark the date. On Aug. 31st I will be free from this splint! Two weeks from today! I've already scheduled with my Ortho to get my new arch wire later that same day and plan to eat some very soft pasta! I'm now allowed to take off my bands 3 times a day, for 1 1/2 hours, instead of just an hour. I also have to start physical therapy, which consists of using both pinky's on either side of my mouth in between my teeth and sliding them towards my back teeth as far as I can - to stretch the muscles and help me open my mouth better. Next week I have to use my index fingers and by the 4th week, it will be my thumbs. After that I have to do "scissors" with my fingers - which sounds terrifyingly painful, but if it will allow me to have that Western Bacon Cheeseburger at the 6 week mark - I'm all for it.
I think I woke up with a fatter face today. Maybe because it was so hot yesterday I'm more swollen? I'm starting to get discouraged about my fatty jowls and have to keep reminding myself that things will still change.

My neck is still a little sore with just a bit of bruising left.



I also still have an "almost" double chin. Extra fat/fluid/something that normally isn't there along with the rest of the swelling in my cheeks.



Not thrilled but still documenting. Even my lower lip looks lopsided in this. I'm wondering if I'll still look crooked after the swelling goes down- simply because for most of my life my skin/lips have stretched to the side so they don't know how to be normal. The muscles in my right cheek feel like they are being stretched - as they should since that was the side that my chin went to, and they haven't need to stretch for years. My left side muscles hurt like they are being bunched up - which makes sense because they have been stretched further for so many years and now don't need to stretch so much.



That's it.

3 comments:

  1. Tamara, I just stopped by to say you look about 500000000000x more beautiful than I did at this point.

    You'll love life when the splint is removed. Your speech will be much better. Brushing will feel AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Graham, nice to hear. I'm getting a little discouraged because the changes were so rapid and apparent for the first 10 days, and now they are more gradual. I've always had a very skinny face and so I'm struggling with these new fat cheeks! How long until your swelling was completely gone? Also - you are 4.5 months out, right? Do you have all the feeling back or do you still have some numb areas?

    Thanks for your comments! Hope you're having a great week so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My swelling took about 2 full months to go away completely. And you'll get used to your new profile. It's just an adjustment thing.

    I'm 5 months out tomorrow (crazy!). I'm still numb in my lower left lip and chin, but I'm beginning to think that may just be how it is. I forget about it most of the time though. It's incredible how your body adjusts and just stops bothering you with the thought of being numb after a while.

    I hope all your feeling comes back though!

    ReplyDelete