Monday, August 16, 2010

raw tongue

I wonder what the heck my doc did to my tongue when I was "under". It's so beat up. It's had shooting, burning pains in it since I got out of surgery, and now that I can open my mouth a whole centimeter - it looks completely raw. Like I put a teaspoon of sugar on it and just let it soak in. Well, only half of it hurts. The right half is still numb. I can't tell you what a strange sensation it is to have a half-numb tongue. It's a good thing though - because I keep biting the right edge of it. My whole jaw used to be shifted to the right, and so for the last 18 years or so my tongue has learned to help process food off to the right. Now when I eat, my tongue is still edging over to the right and ...CRUNCH! I bite it. Luckily, it's getting bit between my bottom teeth and my splint so it's not that bad - I haven't tasted blood yet anyway - and also that side is still numb - so no pain.

I stopped by my Ortho's office today. He's just up the street and I didn't have a formal appt., but I wanted to let him know that this splint should be off in 2 more weeks, and then he can put a new arch wire in. Everyone in the office couldn't believe that I wasn't still black and blue or hugely swollen. They haven't seen someone heal from this type of surgery so quickly before. Really - I feel like people think it wasn't as major as it was, simply because I'm healing so quickly. News flash - it was major surgery. My face was broken into 7 pieces - 6 of which were put back together like a puzzle. I just happened to be very, very blessed. Prayers work.

My face is tingly! You know when your leg is asleep and you want to stamp on it til the pins and needles go away? That's how I feel about my face. I want to slap it or knead it until those dang painful, tingling pins and needles go away. I know this is a GOOD thing though, so I'm trying to be happy about it. :)

A stitch came out today. They are dissolving, and I'm brushing my teeth on average 10 times a day in an effort to spit the stitches out instead of swallowing them. Gross.

I went back to work today. I spent most of today putting together my new website: www.mbellishdbytamara.ning.com. I've been spending most of my time lately on Miche stuff, but it's time to get back to the M.Bellish'd. I ended up talking a lot today as a result of both work and family. My jaws are extremely tired. It's hard enough to talk with my bands off - but except for the 3 hours a day when that happens (which are usually spent with me consuming food) I have to talk with my bands on - and it is very exhausting to do that. Picture having peanut butter - or glue - holding your teeth together, but you HAVE to talk to your kids or work or whatever. It's absolutely essential that they understand you - so you try to articulate everything as clearly as possible while struggling to actually put air between your teeth. It's exhausting!

I haven't spoken in 3 hours now - since the kids went to bed. It has been utter bliss. I'm going to go put my hot pack on and chill out til I fall asleep. G'night!

2 comments:

  1. Major surgery AND major recovery! Reading your blog, I think the recovery sounds worse than the surgery probably was. I would go crazy if I had that pins and needles feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make me a little crazy - especially when I feel it awakening the roots under where it's tingling. It makes me want to clench my teeth together to try to get some relief - but that is the LAST thing I should do so I have to fight the feeling.

    Really though - I'm just grateful to be done with the first week. There is a lot of complaining I can do about food choices/textures/ect. but really - I have it easy compared to a lot of the other jaw surgery patients blogs I have read - so I'm just counting my blessings!

    ReplyDelete