Sunday, September 5, 2010

Lortab

So, can anyone tell me the difference between Lortab suspension (liquid) and Lortab tablets? I took the suspension the first week of post-op and did just fine on it. Then, after getting my splint off and being in a tremendous amount of pain, Dr. Egbert prescribed it again last week. I took 1 pill, and was sick (nauseated, throwing up and dizzy) for the next 8 hours. So...there has to be a difference, and I'm just wondering what it is? Since that experience, I've found a cocktail that works for me...namely 800 mgs of Ibuprofin, with a 1000 mg. Tylenol chaser 3-4 hours later. Combine that with heat packs and complete relaxation and I can manage. My mom and sis came in to town for THREE weddings this weekend and I wanted my house to look pretty. (The reason I'm dressed up and they aren't is because I was headed out the door to church, and they were headed out the door to road trip back to CO this morning).

I started a big project and it about killed me to finish it, but I did! I painted some accent walls in my bedroom and bathroom and did some redecorating. My office is red/black/white - power colors for getting good work done. My bedroom is the opposite - soothing beach tones for relaxing. Although I alternated between my project and lying prostrate on my bed in a pain-induced stupor - I got it done. It helped to focus on something (the project) other then the pain for as long as I could stand it - so at least the pain made me productive!

Some pictures (click to enlarge)

I love the combo of our cherry furniture with antique creams and vintage sea-blue's. In the second pic -the flash wouldn't go off due to the sun coming in the window. Oh well.



The pic on the left is a much truer color then on the right. It is a blue-green color, not straight blue. The vinyl says "We will have these moments to remember" and then I put pics of our family in the frames from fond moments throughout the last 8 years. It's the first thing I look at when I wake up in the morning, and it's a great way to start my day.


So - on to face pics. It's been almost 5 weeks now (Tues) and I'm still taking off my rubber bands for 8 hours a day. My schedule is roughly taking them off from 9-11am, 1-3pm, 5-7pm, 9-11pm. That is perfect for all 3 meals plus ice cream at night. My meals have been upgraded. For breakfast I still have cream of wheat usually, but I did eat some Life cereal (thoroughly soggy) the other day. For lunch it's usually Pei Wei noodles (or Noodles & Co.) and dinner is usually an omelet. Last night I broke down and ate refried beans for the first time in a week. It's such a great protein boost!
Swelling is still lingering slightly but is noticeably worse in the morning when I wake up.

Showing my rubber bands...they make me look like a vampire.

Left profile. I hate that you can see all the way up my nostril. I think I'll check into botox to just relax that muscle a little. It pulls up so much more then the other side that it continues to make my smile extremely lopsided unless I am very cognisant of how I'm smiling. Annoying.

Left profile. The swelling under my chin is getting less, and my cheek is only slightly puffy.
All in all - I'm getting there. Chewing continues to be slow going. The right half of my tongue is still numb, so I'm still crunching on it at every meal. I end up swallowing most of my food whole - but at least it's filling! I'm worried now about our cruise in 3 weeks. I'm thinking I won't gain back the weight I lost (which is fine) but I'm still hoping to be able to sample all the cuisine available - even if it takes me a while to actually consume it.
Speaking "normally" takes effort. There is still a slight whistle on certain words due to the open bite, and I now have to form words differently due to my tongue filling in the roof of my mouth different (since my upper pallet is now so much bigger then it used to be). Combine that with numbness and I think I look pretty funny (and sound funny) when I speak. I'm forever learning patience with myself.
I'm hoping on Tuesday that I'll be told I only need to wear the rubber bands for a short period of time each afternoon, and then all night. That will be fantastic and I can answer the phone again! Until then...

4 comments:

  1. You are so good about getting projects done! I bought picture frames at least 6 months ago to do the same thing you did in your bedroom (pictures of Mike and I on vacations). The frames are still sitting under the bed . . . . .

    I like the calming colors of your room. My room needs to be repainted but I hate painting!

    Can you really see up the nostril? Or is it just a funky glare from the camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the frames Thursday and hung them Thursday. :) I ordered the pictures I wanted from Costco and picked them up Friday. Sometimes projects are too overwhelming for me, and either I don't end up starting them forever, or I take a looong break in the middle - but this is something I knew I could do in a few hours, so I went for it, pain and all. I didn't take any pics of my bathroom - I'll have to do that. We have a wall in our family room with big framed pictures of our travels. I'll have to send that to you as well! We'll get to add to it in 3 weeks after we go to the Bahamas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My problem is I have to move a huge shelf because that's the wall I plan to use for my pictures. I have to find a place to put the shelf. I have to edit my pictures before I can print them. So many excuses for me! :) But someday . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to get double jaw surgery, and while I don't have jaw problems that you had, my nose does the EXACT same thing. I've always figured I would need to get a nose job on account of my deviated septum. Also, when the jaw surgeon took xrays of my face it revealed a hidden hump in my nose that you can't see externally. It's weird.

    So anyways just wanted to let you know you're not alone! And thanks so much for making this blog.

    ReplyDelete