Monday, October 4, 2010

2 Months!

Ok, so these are probably my last pics til my braces come off - hopefully in the next couple of months. It's been 2 months since I had surgery. I'm still not ecstatic with how I look right now - but honestly - the changes from now until my 18 month mark will be so gradual, I probably won't notice unless I do comparision - before and afters. I just try not to think about the uneveness of my face. The "cant" to my teeth and my less then perfect jaw. It's still better then it was - so really, what more can I ask for? I still have an open bite on the left side, and I only have a few teeth touching on the right - but that's all orthodontics from this point. I have an appt. 1 week from today to get more rubber bands - hopefully closing that open bite. I would say about 1/3 of my tongue is still numb, 1/2 of my bottom lip and my whole chin. Overall, not bad at only the 2 month mark. Here are the "official" 2 month pics. I have a sinus infection so I look a little dreary.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of the "nose wrinkle" or my lopsided smile - but I can learn to live with it! :) My eyes in my "after pic" look psychotic. I thought it was a good idea when I was playing with photoshop...
BEFORE Sept. 2009 / AFTER - Sept. 2010

I may not have a totally straight jaw, but it's so much better then it was!

Note the before (left) and after (right) pics!

Right profile pic. Before and After

Left profile, before and after.


Straight teeth! No crossbite! Midlines matching! Before/After

Different angles. Excuse the messy hair: Sick = laying down!

So...because my teeth are still numb, it feels weird to brush them. Like, nails on a chalkboard weird. Like any pressure feels like I'll knock out a tooth, or I'll hit a newly reconnected nerve and a white hot pain shoots through the nerve. Brushing my teeth is not a pleasant experience. I'm sooo grateful for my Waterpik. It's bearable. I'm also tired of chewing on my lip. I have a HUGE canker there because I simply cannot feel when I bite it as I chew. Going on our cruise to the Bahama's last week didn't help. I ate constantly and the canker grew and grew! I'm really looking forward to the numbness COMPLETELY dissapating. It's supposed to be 90% gone in the next 2 months. Can't wait!
Ok, want to know the REAL reason that I want all the feeling back?
So I can KISS MY HUSBAND AGAIN!
(I mean ReEEAallly kiss him!) :)
These pics are from our cruise last week. The Bahama's were AMAZING! I mean, come on - it's the Bahama's! We kayak'd through the Mangrove trees, then went on a Segway tour, we went to the beach, shopped, saw beautiful sunsets...it was incredible!
At dinner - I was really excited to eat! :) We scheduled this cruise partially to celebrate EATING again! This is my "bad side". My smile is crazy!
That's all!

4 comments:

  1. Hi

    You seem like such a cheery person, thats good to see. I am glade to see everything went good for you, well as it seems from the pics but i know in real life there must have been some bad times specially in the beginning. Just thinking of it i had a kidney stone the other day and i can tell you, now that was the worst thing i have ever en-counted in my life. I am definitely drinking a lot of water from now on, don't want that again.

    Oh well, I am writing to you since i have the exact same problem as you had with your jaw being slanted to the one-side, also just like mine to the right. I am 21 years old now and have noticed it about 4-5 years back. It isn't really noticeable in real life unless you take a good look, but some how when i have a photo taken of me it is all revealed, you can then really see it. I have been avoiding photos for like the past 5 years because of this it makes me feel so insecure and depressed ( I want to ask my parents for help but i don't want to trouble them with money issues, specially that medical aid wont pay ). My teeth are pretty much perfect except that my top jaw is at an slanted angle and also my bottom jaw has followed the same path so now my jaw is also slanted. This has also made my one side of my face show my cheekbone more and the other side less. If i feel with my hands, my cheekbones are the same left and right. Just my jaw is slanted which makes my one side different from the other, so now my whole face looks asymmetrical just because of my dumb jaw line. It is like my maxilla/upper jaw grew more the one side than the other.

    (Sorry i never read everything, so i am not sure if you mentioned it)

    I wanted to know since you went for an operation, how much did the whole procedure cost you so far or will all together, if you don't mind saying. Also did your doctor diagnose you with something for the condition or did he say why this happens, because i have read up a little and they say it is possibly inherited but non of my family members have the same thing. What type of doctor did you see, did you see a Orthognathic surgeon for help?


    I hope one day i can get this fixed, i think i should wait till i am 25 though just to make sure i have stopped growing but i am sure the doctor will know best.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have the same problem too, but I also have an open bite on top of it. I'm also interested in how much it might cost, please, if you're willing share that information, I think it could help a lot of us to know if its something we could work towards or not.

    To the anonymous reader above (I know that was 3 years ago!, but for others) its better to do these types of procedures when you're young. The bones become less and less pliable with each passing year. I'm 26 and I should have had this done 10 years ago. I'm just wishing its still a possibility for me....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the braces on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mike! It made me feel a bit like a teenager again, which I guess isn't a terrible thing! :) Take Care!

    ReplyDelete